Re: cannot setup HP7200 anymore

Joerg Schilling wrote:

To: cdwrite@other.debian.org

I was suddenly hit by recent changes in linux. I tried today to use my
old HP 7200  parallel port CD-Writer and there is no  way I could make
it appear as scsi device. I manage to load all the modules and I get

pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
pg0: epat 1.02, Shuttle EPAT chip  c6 at 0x378, mode 5 (EPP-32), delay
1
pg0: HP CD-Writer+ 7200, slave

but when  I try  to load  ide-scsi I can't  see it  as SCSI  device. I
wanted to try  the new ide-cd interface but don't  know how pg0 should
be addressed. I'm  pretty desperate. Why things that  WERE working are
broken  now. Who  is so  stupid to  do this?  Sorry for  that  but I'm
getting pretty desperate.

The apripriate driver is "pg", not ide-scsi ..... Linux confusion....

99% of all HP CD-Writer+ 7200 are dead now.

What he said. You should be using ide-scsi for this drive. And if you don't want things to change don't update your kernel. We're all fighting with changes from 2.4 to 2.6.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time