Re: Multi Volume CD/DVDs

> > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> My comment was *not* based solely on that
> particular remark, so don't take it personally.

No offense taken.
And if ever ... your merits would outweight it.

> > scdbackup-0.8 maintains a list of checksum records (MD5) which
> > may be used to identify a volume of a multi volume backup.
> Great!

... and it got a bash script on each CD/DVD which tells you
the volume number, the date and can tell you on which volume a file
may be found. (Silly me, that would have been the better answer.)

> Once again. Keep in mind that Linux isofs implementation is deficient in
> such way which effectively limits maximum file size to 2G-1 byte.

I was not aware of that. Still using CD-RW and only getting reports
from my DVD users. At least one of them got happy with large files
after pointing me to the lack of Large File Support in scdbackup-0.7 .

Conclusion so far :

For files larger than 2 GB i can only propose to use afio format
rather than ISO. Again: get at least afio-2.4.7.9beta4 for that
and make thorough tests including real restore experiments.
Be aware that 4 GB might be another limit.