Re: Multi Volume CD/DVDs

> To Andy :
>
> scdbackup is one of the off-list answers sent to Norbert Preining
> about his request for a "'good' backup program".

Please note that I'm not blaming [nor in position to blame] anybody for
choices they make. I merely *encoraged* public to open up, as it felt
there is a need for that. My comment was *not* based solely on that
particular remark, so don't take it personally.

> I was reluctant to advertise my stuff as such a thing.

Modesty is of course valuable quality, but keep in mind that it's a
*discussion* forum. Statement or proposed solution doesn't have to be
100% correct or perfectly suitable for some particular situation. That's
why we *discuss* it, don't we?

> scdbackup-0.8 maintains a list of checksum records (MD5) which
> may be used to identify a volume of a multi volume backup.

Great!

> > Also, what if the things are complicated by the existence of one or
> > more files of size > 2GB.
>
> That depends wether the affected programs got compiled with
> Large File Support. I was told that mkisofs of cdrtools-2.01a19
> has that feature (there are newer releases meanwhile).
>
> > Is this a Linux only issue?
>
> Traditional functions and data structures of the file system interface
> used 32-bit signed integers (e.g. fseek got parameter  long offset ).

Once again. Keep in mind that Linux isofs implementation is deficient in
such way which effectively limits maximum file size to 2G-1 byte. I mean
even if kernel itself supports large files and all application programs
are explicitly compiled with large file support, you still get into
trouble [as long as we're talking about ISO9660 that is]. I assumed that
Ashish was referring to this limitation, as it was discussed serveral
times on this list. I might be wrong in my assumption (but that's OK as
already established:-). Cheers. A.