Re: problem burning DVD-R with PX708A

> I've finally had the time to try these DVD-R's which report themselves as MXL
> RG01 on another burner (an unknown atapi clone borrowed from a friend) and
> then growisofs reported them as 2X DVD-R and burnt them successfully with a
> -speed=1.

Media support varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from
firmware revision to firmware revision. Success with this unit doesn't
really mean that Plextor firmware is *inherently* deficient and given
that this particular media is most likely counterfeit, it's appropriate
to just disregard experience. At least negative ones...

> Then I tried a DVD+R (Mirror 4X DVD+R) with my drive. Here is what it
> reported:
> -> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
> INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-708A  ][1.04]
> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>  Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
>  Media ID:              IS01/001
>  Current Write Speed:   2.4x1385=3324KB/s
>  Write Speed #0:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
>  Write Speed #1:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
> GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
>  Write Performance:     6.0x1385=8310KB/s@[0 -> 385023]
>                         8.0x1385=11080KB/s@[385024 -> 2295103]
>  Speed Descriptor#0:    02/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
>  Speed Descriptor#1:    02/2295104 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
> :-[ READ DVD STRUCTURE#0 failed with SK=5h/ASC=24h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
>
> And then
>
> growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=Input.iso
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=Input.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
> /dev/dvd: "Current Write Speed" is 6.1x1385KBps.
                                     ^^^ This value is first one
appearing in "GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE" in dvd+rw-mediainfo output. It
obviously bogus in this particular case and remains to be seen if it's a
firmware deficiency or not. At least other units, Ricoh, NEC, Philips,
Benq derivatives, do report sane value here, which is why growisofs
"sells" it to you as "Current Write Speed."

>          0/4669931520 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
>    5603328/4669931520 ( 0.1%) @1.2x, remaining 138:44
>   16777216/4669931520 ( 0.4%) @2.4x, remaining 60:05
>   27983872/4669931520 ( 0.6%) @2.4x, remaining 46:59
                                 ^^^ You can observe this value "GET
[CURRENT] CONFIGURATION" paragraph in dvd+rw-mediainfo output. Values in
this paragraph are taken from Page 2A. Also take into consideration
"Recording speed chosen by Plextor PX-708A, possibly other units..." at
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html. In other words
despite the fact that "Current Write Speed" is confusing/bogus, unit
apparently performed satisfactory and even as expected.

> It actually succeeded, and the disk works all right. But I'm stil surprised
> with the mediainfo error

If you refer to failure to READ DVD STRUCTURE#0, then it's perfectly
expected for blank media as there is no lead-in yet and the command in
question is bound to fail.

> and the initial 6.1X speed.

See above. If you're confused about 6.1x vs. 6.0x, then it's also
expected: growisofs uses 1352 as reference 1x speed for reasons which
has been discussed at some earlier occasion.

> Unfortunately I have no windows to try plextor's own tools. I'd like to see if
> they've got some kind of magical option to burn anything regardless of what
> the media would report.

I don't think they have...

> Do you think the firmware would embed a database of supported media ???

At the very least Plextor firmware contains a database of 4x media,
which was qualified by Plextor lab for 8x recordings.

> and require an upgrade for every new product on the market.

Media is believed to have some kind of generic information firmware is
supposed to be able to use to determine optimal writing parameters
without looking at Media ID, but it might be that it's not standard yet
and format varies from one media vendor to another. BTW, note that DVD+
media IDs are structured as NAME/VER. I wouldn't be surprised that /VER
part denotes such data format and you only need upgrade when new /VER is
introduced.

A.