Re: Last border-out wrong?

> I own a BTC 1008 DVD writer and I'm trying to burn some video DVD-Rs with
> dvd+rw-tools (5.17.4.8.6) under FreeBSD 4.9
>
> All DVDs I burnt are readable on only one standalone DVD player (a
> pioneer one) and with the burner.  I can't read them on others DVD-ROM
> drives and standalone players.

Define "can't read." Does it mean that it says "no media in" or does it
say "no superblock" or similar. Try to run dvd+rw-mediainfo against
DVD-ROM unit (yes, against DVD-ROM, not recording unit) with this
recorded media in.

> dvd+rw-mediainfo gives me that output:
>
> # dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd1c
> INQUIRY:                [DVDRW   ][IDE1008         ][0054]
> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>  Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
> READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
>  Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0
>
> The "Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0" seems weird for me, but maybe I'm
> wrong.

It *is* wierd and it *can* limit playability in legacy units, at least
in those which explicitly support DVD-R playback (those which support
exclusively DVD-ROM look at "legacy lead-out" value and disregard "last
border-out"). It's most likely your burner firmware deficiency [at least
other recorder units are known to exhibit sane border-out values] and
the question is if there is a workaround for it. Things to try:

1. Try to leave media opened for multi-sessioning and see if "last
border-out" is sane then. To perform -dvd-video recording and leave
media open you have to split mkisofs and growisofs as following:

  mkisofs -dvd-video /path/to/video | growisofs -Z /dev/cd1c=/dev/fd/0

Submit dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording. If "last
border-out" is sane and media still remains unplayable, fill it up with
'growisofs -M /dev/cd1c=/dev/zero'. Submit dvd+rw-mediainfo output for
resulting recording.

2. Try to perform DAO recording by complementing growisofs command-line
with -use-the-force-luke=dao option. Is recording playable then? Submit
dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording.

> If I burn the same thing (using the same command: growisofs -Z /dev/cd1c
>  -dvd-video /path/to/video) on a DVD+RW, the result is readable...

Session closing code for DVD-dash and DVD+plus recording is completely
different and success with DVD+recording doesn't exclude possibility
that there is no bug in DVD-dash code of your unit firmware.

> Another thing, when I want to burn a data DVD I have to avoid the
> -dvd-compat option or the DVD will be readable only by the burner.

Well, this basically provides answer to the above suggested experiment
#1, because -dvd-video implies -dvd-compat. Can you submit
dvd+rw-mediainfo output for such "data" recording? I write "data" in
quotes, because from the actual recording point of view there is no
difference between "data" and "video" input, it's all just data. Sounds
like I need to add another entry to
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html.

A.