Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

Rob Bogus wrote:

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

What I meant was those autothingies should keep their hands off a disk
while a burn process is happening. Dunno whether it's possible to detect
this, but isn't that the way it should be?
The burner software can open exclusive - see man open.

After looking at how that's actually done, I don't know if that's going to work for a device as well as it would for a file. Actually, I don't think it will work at all. I also looked a flock() and fcntl(), which have the same problem, and lock() which doesn't seem to even be implemented yet.

Add to that the problems which relate to having multiple directories created with mknod which are really the same device, and it doesn't look as if driver level locking is practical after all. Devices don't behave as files!

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time