Re: cdrecord-ProDVD and Liteon DVDRW LDW-451S?

>From: Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi>

>My Teac DV-W50E, actually a rebadged Pioneer 105, gave up the ghost,
>so I quickly got a LiteOn LDW-451S DVD writer. It works fine in Windows
>XP and Nero for DVD writing, but cdrecord-ProDVD in Linux doesn't seem
>to think it's a DVD writer at all.

>For example:

>$ ./cdrecord-wrapper.sh dev=/dev/hdc -v /mnt/work/test
>Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a23-2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
>Unlocked features: ProDVD Clone
>Limited  features:
>This copy of cdrecord is licensed for: private/research/educational_non-commercial_use
>TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
>scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
>devname: '/dev/hdc'
>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
>Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
>Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'.
>SCSI buffer size: 64512
>atapi: 1
>Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
>Version        : 0
>Response Format: 2
>Capabilities   :
>Vendor_info    : 'LITE-ON '
>Identifikation : 'DVDRW LDW-451S  '
>Revision       : 'GSB6'
>Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
>Current: DVD-R sequential recording
>Profile: DVD+R
>Profile: DVD+RW
>Profile: DVD-RW sequential overwrite
>Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
>Profile: DVD-R sequential recording (current)
>Profile: DVD-ROM
>Profile: CD-RW
>Profile: CD-R
>Profile: CD-ROM
>./cdrecord-ProDVD: Sorry, no supported CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.

>Any help? Result is the same if I use ide-scsi and dev=1,0,0 instead or
>run as root, although with less warnings.

This is caused by the fact thet the drive is lying about it's features.

I just created a new version 2.01a24 for Linux and downloaded it to:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

that tries to work around this firmware bug.

Please test and report.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling