Re: Pioneer DVR-106D issues

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> >Lack of DMA doesn't manifest itself as 0.4x. Requestor's computer (which
>> >was described in originating post) should perform over 2x without DMA.
>> >Lack of DMA doesn't manifest itself as "1 to 2 CPU spikes per second,"
>> >but as high load all the time. The comment is hardly relevant. A.
>>
>>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                                 Seems to be just another time where you like
>>                                 to tell that you are not interested in
>>                                 a cooperation, why?

>What are you talking about? How on whole earth does the fact that I
>challenge your opinion makes me uncooperative?

Well, how do you rate a remark where somebody tells you that your
writings are irrelevant?

>> It _really_ makes sense to run the readcd speed test.

>I didn't say that readcd test doesn't make sense. I said that even
>without DMA requestor's computer should have performed over 2x, not at
>.4x and therefore DMA is hardly the culprit, something else is. But we

Well, if he did select 1x write speed and the drive did accept 1x, you may
be correct.... But this is a 4x writer.

PIO speed may be less than 2x1385 kb/s in special when we may be talking
ybout a _fast_ CPU. With PIO the rule faster CPU -> better performance
may not always be true.

>can talk about readcd in particular if you wish. Say it performs at
>lower than expected speed. Does it actually *prove* anything about DMA?
>It only indicates that *something* is wrong, it doesn't actually tells
>you that DMA is off. Keep in mind that user maintains that he explicitly
>checked DMA settings and found that they were on. A.

I don't believe things that have not been checked in a secure way.

Let us see whether he will get 18 MB/s read speed with readcd.....

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling