Re: Plextor-Linux-DMA-problems (was cdrtools-2.01a19 - strange errors)

On Mit, 26 Nov 2003, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> have gone. So it must be related to Plextor+Linux+DMA .
> On my private PC at home (a newer Plextor  48x) I cannot access
> the drive at all when DMA is enabled (even a simple 'mount' of an
> ISO filesystem hangs) and the kernel log tells about a DMA timeout
> error. (The kernel is a recent 2.4.23-rc?)

I have linux-2.4.23-rc5 and more or less all the previous kernels back
to know what and a plextor premium 48x and have no problems, with or
without dma.

I guess that you have a problem with
* either your chipset (is it via, nforce, or what)
* or your cables (too long, too twisted)

I would suggest first:
* put the burner as single master and look if it is the same
* put it on another ide controller

It may be that the plextor drive is damaged and cannot do dma.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien
POTT SHRIGLEY (n.)
Dried remains of a week-old casserole, eaten when extremely drunk at
two a.m.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff