Re: Problems with Matshita UJ-810

> I'm experiencing (increasing?) major problems while trying to write
> DVD-R or DVD-RW. And - for some reason - am beginning to suspect the
> fault being in the DVD+RW Tools.
>
> 1) After buying 25 Verbatim DVD-R, I was able to burn 17 of them w/o
>    problems, but 8 failed with "OPC failed with
>    SK=3h/ASC=73h/ASCQ=03h",

For public reference. OPC stands for Optimum Power Calibration, a
procedure performed by firmware involving a test-burn on an designated
area *prior* actual recording. Code 3/73/03 means "POWER CALIBRATION
AREA ERROR" indicating that unit failed to perform that test-burn.

>    I brought them back to the dealer and they
>    were able to burn them w/o problems on some other writer under
>    Windows.

Well, this doesn't exclude the possibility that your unit is
defective... Laser diode power might vary for some reason and get just a
bit lower, enough to fail OPC. If they would succeed to burn that media
with *your* burner, then it would definitely indicate dvd+rw-tools bug,
but not otherwise.

> 2) I bought Memorex DVD-RW and while trying to burn an isoimage I even
>    get a return code I cannot identify under
>    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/keys.txt
>
> sol:/data/BURN-ISO # growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=img.iso
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=img.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
> :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=4h/ASC=03h/ASCQ=00h

keys.txt lists codes which are supposed to be returned by MMC units
[such as CD and DVD players and burners]. 4/03/00 is a "generic" error
code listed in "SCSI Primary Commands" document. The code means
"PERIPHERAL DEVICE WRITE FAULT." Unit again reports failure to burn the
test area. Note that OPC is just a single command. Basically there is no
place for application software bug there, as growisofs doesn't send any
arguments which would confuse the unit, but merely asks firmware to
perform whatever magic firmware considers necessary to succeed with
recording of actual data.

> sol:/data/BURN-ISO # growisofs -version
> * growisofs by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 5.11,
>   front-ending to mkisofs: mkisofs 2.0 (i686-suse-linux)

Formally it's inappropriate, but you can try to *skip* OPC altogether.
Try to download dvd+rw-tools-5.5.x and run growisofs 5.5 instead...

And there is another thing to check. If you run 2.4.x kernel, then you
should know that there is a kernel bug, which discards timeouts passed
by growisofs and sets default of 30 seconds on all commands. Meaning
that whenever your unit requires more that 30 seconds to perform OPC,
then you're in trouble. In order to tell if you suffer from this,
examine your log, /var/log/messages. Did it log anything by the time
growisofs failed? A.