Re: DVDs created with too large files

On Sun 2 November 2003 19:03, ljknews wrote:
> At 5:27 PM +0000 11/2/03, Gary Houston wrote:
> >I have been using dvd+rw-tools (5.13.4.7.4) and mkisofs
> > (cdrtools 1.11a29) to write backups to DVD.  This generally
> > works.  However I encountered a problem when one of the files
> > was 2351679431 bytes in size: the disk was written with no
> > errors reported, but on testing proved to be unreadable to
> > linux 2.4.21.  On mounting the disk a warning was reported:
> >
> >Warning: defective CD-ROM.  Enabling "cruft" mount option.
>
> "Defective" CD-ROM is a misleading statement.
> "Interchange Level 3 ISO-9660 volumes are not handled by this OS"
> would be more accurate.
>
> >	/*
> >	 * The ISO-9660 filesystem only stores 32 bits for file size.
>
> But the ISO-9660 _standard_ stores 32 bits for the size of each
> _extent_ and there can be a virtually unlimited number of
> _extents_ in a single file at ISO-9660 Interchange Level 3.

But can a file span multiple extents? The way I read the comment
Gary quoted, it's legal to have an image that is over 2GB in size,
as long as each file inside that image is no larger than 2GB. I
haven't actually read the spec though.

But then the whole comment seems odd. It looks to me like the
WARNING was added later, and written by Jörg. That seems to me like
the only logical way to explain why the comment says it's legal,
but the code claims it's illegal to have files that are more than
2GB in size.

Lastly, at the top of the file, there is

 *      1998  Eric Lammerts - ISO 9660 Level 3

so apparently at least someone looked at ISO Level 3 support. I'd
say send a message to linux-kernel and see what they say about
it...

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key