Re: dvd+rw-tools update [5.11, Pioneer DVR-x06]

> > dvd+rw-tools 5.11.4.6.4 are available for download at usual location,
> > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/.
>
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/soft/rpm/suse8.2/
>
>    %description
>    Collection of tools to master DVD+RW/+R media.

Note that despite its name dvd+rw-tools fully support even DVD-R[W]. And
note that there is dvd+rw-tools.spec with %description already.

>    Also included is rpl8, a tool to read/program Ricoh-drive firmware.

Note that rpl8 is not supported at all and not even compiled by default.
I don't think it's actually good idea to distribute it in binary form.

>    To make the binaries SUID (bad idea), add appropriate lines to
>    /etc/permissions.local and run SuSEconfig. As access permissions to
>    devices are handled by resmgr, SUID should not be necessary.

??? They are not installed set-root-uid by default... What you probably
want to write is "Binaries are not installed set-root-uid, as access
permissions to devices are expected to be handled by resmgr. Make sure
the latter is configured appropriately."

> Is there a tool like rpl8 for Pioneer x06??

Not that I know of.

> Andy notes:
>   * Don't assume make install is run as root (install -o root bombs).
>   * Do create directories before installing into them
>   * It would aid package building if there was a prefix variable, so
>   that the software, when compiled for /usr, can be installed to
>   $PREFIX/usr. GNU auto stuff provides a variable for this (and it's not
>   there only for package building).

??? There is dvd+rw-tools.spec, and it does all that already. 'make
install' is ment for "old-school" users compiling from scratch, not for
so to say RPM packetiers. A.