Re: alioth repositories

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I just completed a run of "git-repack -a -d" over all the repos on
> alioth.  This has brought the disk usage of /git/pkg-xorg/ from over
> 1.5GB to under 200MB. It should also make future operations faster as
> there's less need for disk I/O wait :)
> I guess we should do this regularly, or have a cron job do it when the
> number of objects grows too big.  See also [0] for some ideas about how
> to do that.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien
>
> [0] http://blog.madism.org/index.php/2007/02/21/123-git-tricks

I'm not sure I remember correctly but I think I've read on the git
mailinglist that doing this in a cronjob on a repo which is in active use
(pushed to) isn't the best idea.

It could be that my memory is just wrong and it was git-prune which is
unsafe but I want to mention it before you screw your repo bigtime.

Regards,
  Peter