Re: upload of xserver-xorg-video-ivtvdev.git

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:23:08 +0100, Peter Baumann wrote:

> This should work. (But better try it out with a _copy_ of your repo. I
> don't know if this is the _correct_ way to do this. If someone knows a
> quicker/better way, please tell me)
>
>   cd xserver-xorg-video-ivtvdev
>   git checkout -b upstream		# create the upstream branch
>   :> .git/refs/heads/upstream		# remove the sha1 from the
>   					# upstream branch
>
>   git-ls-files -z|xargs -0 rm		# remove every tracked file
>   # now remove everything which is left (objects, ignored files, etc.)
>
>   rm .git/index				# remove the index
>
>   tar -xvzf upstream.tar.gz		# unpack upstream into current directory
>   git add .				# add everything
>
>   git commit

The way I did it (for xterm) was something like this:
$ git-clone git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/app/xterm
$ tar zxf xterm-223.tar.gz
$ cp -a xterm/.git xterm-223/
$ cd xterm-223
$ echo refs/heads/upstream > .git/HEAD
$ rm .git/index
$ git-add .
$ git-commit

This is from my memory, so I may have forgotten a step, but some use of
git-status along the way might help you check this :)
I guess that also doesn't qualify as a "correct" way to do it...

> Merging this branch with any other branch will be a huge pain in the
> ass, because there is no common commit (merge base). You could expect
> massive conflicts, but it's just the first merge, after that it should
> work as expected.

In most cases for the repos so far, it was very easy to merge them with
the branches from freedesktop.org (the only problems were because of
$Id$ or similar cvs tags), but it's true that if two files are added
with different contents in branches that don't share a common commit
you'll get conflicts.  Doing the first merge with the same upstream
release in both branches helps, because then there shouldn't be (m)any
files with varying contents.

Cheers,
Julien