Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r2129 - trunk/driver/xserver-xorg-input-mouse/debian

David Martínez Moreno <ender@debian.org> writes:

> 	I know that I earned a lintian error as follows:

> E: xserver-xorg-input-mouse: manpage-in-wrong-directory
> usr/share/man/man4x/mouse.4x.gz

> 	But I wanted to ship mouse.man in some place at least.

Using a section other than 1 through 9 in the directory name violates a
should in policy, so I wouldn't recommend this approach.

> 	Why? It conflicts with mouse.4 from manpages:

> MOUSE(4)              Linux Programmer's Manual                MOUSE(4)

> NAME
>        mouse - serial mouse interface

> CONFIG
>        Serial mice are connected to a serial RS232/V24 dialout line, see
> ttyS(4) for a description.

> DESCRIPTION
>    Introduction
>        The pinout of the usual 9 pin plug as used for serial mice is:
> [...]

> What should we do about this? I am thinking of bugging upstream, but I
> would like Daniel's opinion for example, as you could have fallen into
> this pit some time ago.

You can install the man page in /usr/share/man/man4 with a .4x extension
instead of a .4 extension to avoid the conflict that way but still use the
standard directory.  I'm not sure if that's the best approach; it's a
little unintuitive for the user to find the man page that way.  But there
are other naming conflicts in Debian avoided that way.