Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r385 - trunk/debian

El Viernes, 22 de Julio de 2005 00:35, Steve Langasek escribió:
[...]
> xorg-x11 remains a blocker for GNOME and KDE as long as xorg-x11 is not in
> testing.  It just ceases to be a blocker for being able to *build* KDE
> packages once it's in the archive on all architectures.
>
> As for the RC bugs, #314990 and #318692 can certainly be ignored in the
> interest of getting this update into testing; the one is not a regression
> relative to the version of xdm already in testing, and the other has a
> severity of some dispute and low practical impact.
>
> #319298, #318015, and #319121 all look like bugs that should be fixed now
> rather than later, though.

	Agreed.

> > 	Migration from xfree86 packages to xorg ones are far from perfect. I
> > strongly think that we must keep the number of users small until we
> > achieve maturer packages.
>
> If that was a goal, the packages should not have been uploaded to unstable.
> We *need* to keep testing moving, not have it wedged for months at a time
> behind libxxvf86vm and friends.
>
> For my part, I don't actually think there's any reason for a prolonged
> quarantine in unstable.  Bear in mind first of all that these packages are
> basically already used in production in Ubuntu, and secondly that having
> xserver-xorg available in testing doesn't mean users must immediately
> migrate to it since xserver-xfree86 is still around (at least for a little
> while).  I don't think it's appropriate to hold xorg out of testing due to
> non-specific bugs.

	I tend to think in testing as in the next stable, so maybe my feelings about
stability are heading my way. Sorry if this clashes with the general
interest.

	If you feel that user testing is more important than really stable releases
at this point, then I do not have any other concern.

	Regards,

		Ender.
--
Network engineer