Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r385 - trunk/debian

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:06:59PM +0200, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> El Jueves, 21 de Julio de 2005 18:00, David Nusinow escribió:
> > Nope, sadly -4 is in the archive already since I messed up a couple of
> > things in -3. -4 is in good shape so far though, so it may be able to go in
> > to testing. While I'm tempted to get -5 with your SELinux fix in first, I
> > think unblocking things like gnome from migrating to testing is probably
> > more important.

> 	David, that is impossible, as xorg-x11 has several grave and serious bugs as
> today. We should fix them before. And the other option, to downgrade the bugs
> or manually force the release to testing, ends in the same blocker: the
> release team. They have the last word.

> 	Do not forget the gcc-4.0/libvgahw.a bug as well. I would like to ship
> well-built code in testing. As Eugene stated a couple of days ago, there are
> spreaded volatile's all along the code, not only in libvgbahw.a.

> 	I think that we should concentrate on current unstable release, now that
> (hopefully) compiles on every architecture, and we are not blockers for KDE
> or GNOME or whatever other graphical package.

xorg-x11 remains a blocker for GNOME and KDE as long as xorg-x11 is not in
testing.  It just ceases to be a blocker for being able to *build* KDE
packages once it's in the archive on all architectures.

As for the RC bugs, #314990 and #318692 can certainly be ignored in the
interest of getting this update into testing; the one is not a regression
relative to the version of xdm already in testing, and the other has a
severity of some dispute and low practical impact.

#319298, #318015, and #319121 all look like bugs that should be fixed now
rather than later, though.

> 	Migration from xfree86 packages to xorg ones are far from perfect. I strongly
> think that we must keep the number of users small until we achieve maturer
> packages.

If that was a goal, the packages should not have been uploaded to unstable.
We *need* to keep testing moving, not have it wedged for months at a time
behind libxxvf86vm and friends.

For my part, I don't actually think there's any reason for a prolonged
quarantine in unstable.  Bear in mind first of all that these packages are
basically already used in production in Ubuntu, and secondly that having
xserver-xorg available in testing doesn't mean users must immediately
migrate to it since xserver-xfree86 is still around (at least for a little
while).  I don't think it's appropriate to hold xorg out of testing due to
non-specific bugs.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer