Re: Segfault with mga

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I replaced a Nvidia based card today with a Matrox G550 for dual head use.
>
> Now starting X ends up with my monitors reporting
>
>   "Out of Range - 200.0KHz/274Hz"

I've made a little progress, but I've exhausted my debugging skills at
this point.

I rebuilt my 2.4.20 kernel and updated to xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-6 (was
4.2.1-3).

- The segfault is cased by loading the glx module.  Commenting out gets X
started.

I used to have an nvidia card and I wonder if there's something left over
from the nvidia driver install that's causing problems.

- If I *exit* X the G550 card does not get reset correctly, as I still get
the "Out of Range" message on my monitors.

- If I use the mga_drv.o driver from the Matrox binary driver package X
will start, but the cursor is a big block that looks like a bar code.  The
cursor is fine with the mga_drv.o from the Debian package.

- DRI and glx are not getting loaded.  I manually loaded agpgart and mga
with insmod as suggested by Matrox README, but not difference.  Are they
suppose to be loaded automatically?

Clearly, I'd like to be able to exit X.  And I'd also like glx and dri --
Poor Tux doesn't race very fast without it.

Highlights from http://hank.org/pcmcia/XFree86.0.log:

(EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.2.1.1, module version = 1.0.0

(==) MGA(0): Direct rendering disabled
(==) MGA(1): Direct rendering disabled
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
(EE) MGA(1): Not initializing the DRI on the second head

(--) MGA(0): Video BIOS info block at offset 0x07CE0
(WW) MGA(0): Video BIOS info block not detected!

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
0x21 24 tc  0  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"