Re: Debian's XFree86 4.2 and SiS vs. DRI

On Die, 2002-12-31 at 10:31, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Is SiS DRI even supposed to work in 4.2.x? I know that it most
> > definitely won't work in 4.3.0 because it hasn't been maintained in a
> > while.
>
> It is, I assume.

Assumptions tend to be flawed. :) Have there been success reports with
the 4.2.x sis_dri.so? If so, you should look at diffs between upstream
and the Debian packages in lib/GL and extras/Mesa.

> Otherwise how should one explain why just exchanging
> sis_dri.so makes it work? The logical consequence can only be that there
> were no changes in the DR infrastructure.

No, that file contains all the client side DRI code.

> There were no significant changes in the code either, as I saw in my
> comparison. (Mesa is of the same version, too.)

I guess it's still possible that the interface between the common client
side DRI code and the drivers was changed in a way that renders the SiS
driver non-working.

> I assume as regards 4.3, you mean the inclusion of Mesa4, right? Well,
> no one of the DRI folks seems to care about the SiS driver, so this is
> hopeless anyway.

It's not the job of the DRI folks to maintain a driver for hardware they
don't have.