Re: Debian's XFree86 4.2 and SiS vs. DRI

Michel Dänzer wrote:
Is SiS DRI even supposed to work in 4.2.x? I know that it most
definitely won't work in 4.3.0 because it hasn't been maintained in a
while.

It is, I assume. Otherwise how should one explain why just exchanging sis_dri.so makes it work? The logical consequence can only be that there were no changes in the DR infrastructure. There were no significant changes in the code either, as I saw in my comparison. (Mesa is of the same version, too.)

I assume as regards 4.3, you mean the inclusion of Mesa4, right? Well, no one of the DRI folks seems to care about the SiS driver, so this is hopeless anyway.

2) Any clue on why this happens?

Does running glxinfo with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose give a hint?

Unfortunately no. Output looks exactly the same with the 4.1 (=working) and 4.2 (=non-working) version of sis_dri.so. The only difference is that with 4.2, Direct Rendering says "no" (hence "Indirect Rendering")...

> Otherwise, you may want to post to dri-devel.

Allright, thanks.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer