Re: Possible binary problem in current X release

Michel Dänzer schrieb:

On Fre, 2002-12-20 at 23:47, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
Michel Dänzer schrieb:

On Fre, 2002-12-20 at 08:40, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

I think i found a binary error in the current X4.2 Debain distri:

I get a symbol missmatch when i use the "s3" driver. Before Debian released
X4.2 debs i used the precompiled native XFree86 4.2 version. I had n

problems with that one (also with the s3 driver).
The server seems to work though? Unresolved symbols usually aren't a
problem.

No, the server does NOT run. It terminates with this error.

What error? It doesn't fail due to the unresolved symbol, in fact the
log doesn't show any error that would cause the server to fail. It looks
like the server works perfectly, if it terminates immediately that's
probably a problem with the client(s).

Hmm this makes that whole thing a lot stranger. I dirscribe my situation here: I'm talking about an Debian Installation wich is distributed to many and different workstations. On every workstation ecxept the one wich uses the "s3" module, the whole thing works perfect. And if i take a native installation, then also the "s3" module works perfect. That means to me that there must be something wrong with the debian packs.

What does then this message "Failed to set up write-combining range (0xff000000,0x100000)" mean?

Please check if this is an error on my side cause i need that driver and i
don't want to use the brute-force method (copying the native X Version over
the Debian one) again.
You never have to do that, you can always put an alternative
installation in /usr/local and set ModulePath etc. accordingly.

Of course I can do that but i don't want to. Why are there debian packs if i schould use native ones?

Absolutely, that's why I pointed out why you never have to trash the
packages.