compose / Multi_key

With the new debconf questions, I set up the following settings:

$ grep -i xkb /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "compose"

It does not seem to work as I want it to: I want a compose key to be
able to type non-english characters (vowels with ' and ` accents, ^, ",
etc.) - in older X packages, 104 key US keyboard automatically made the
irght "windows key" the compose key. How do I get this functionality
back?

Hugo van der Merwe

I'm not on the list, please CC, thanks. Sorry if it has already been
asked. (I will check the list archives tomorrow.)