Re: Failed Debian X installation

Michael O'Donnell(mod@std.com) is reported to have said:

> >and all have different creation dates.  Seems like an upgrade problem
> >with X11 versions.
> >
> >Note:  This is a Slink -> Potato -> Woody apt-get dist-upgrade
> >box, which could account for this.
>
> Aha!  Mine, too - sort of.  I did a basic install
> from a CD somebody burned for me approx 1 yr ago
> (almost certainly Potato) just to have a place to
> stand, and then set my /etc/apt/sources.list as shown
> earlier and did a dist-upgrade over the Net.

I just fired up another Woody box that was built from a Potato CD set.

ls: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/app-defaults: No such file or
directory

VT/dev/pts/0 root-2.2r3-Buddy:~# dpkg -S /etc/X11/app-defaults
tetex-base, xbase-clients: /etc/X11/app-defaults

So the 2 /usr/* dirs must have come from the Slink installation.
Seems that the Slink -> Woody upgrade worked out OK.

This isn't the first time I have seen problems with, supposedly
working programs not working own that Slink upgraded box.  Recently
had to fix the 'at' program due to permissions on the run dir, IIRC.

Thinking back, that box may have started as with Bo on it first.  I
have too many computers here to remember exactly.

--
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.