crashing apps: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Hello

fwbuilder is crashing whenever I click on specific menus. The upstrem
author cannot reproduce this and it seems to me, after browsing the web for
this error message, that it's maybe bad coding style but not an error in
fwbuilder but something more generic to GTK:

# export LC_ALL=C; export LANG=C; export LANGUAGE=C; fwbuilder
Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1
GnomeUI-ERROR **: file gnome-icon-item.c: line 304 (get_default_font): assertion failed: (default_font != NULL)
aborting...
Aborted
---------------------------------- (some empty lines deleted)
That file is not part of fwbuilder. I tried to create some /etc/gtk/*
files that should match my normal de_DE / de_DE@euro locales but this, too
didn't work. I use xserver-free86 4.0.3-3 and normally the Windows truetype
fonts with the Anti-Aliasing configuration and /etc/X11/XftConfig.

strace/ltrace/ddd and gdm all didn't show something usable, also gdb's output
suggest that the problem is in libgnomeui32.
I'm using the latest testing/unstable.

Any ideas?

bye,

    -christian-

--
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable
that we have to alter it every six months.