Microsoft Natural Pro Kbd configuration under X (and related questions)

Hi,

After lots of searching with no success I have to resort to posting.

Is it possible to map the blue "hotkeys" on the MS Natural Pro keyboard
under X?  It seems that these keys (along with the windows key and menu
key) do not have keycodes so there's not much that can be done with
xmodmap.

In any case xmodmap doesn't seem to be powerful enough to do all that much
useful (like launch applications on a keypress).

Is all the keyboard related stuff controlled by the X keyboard extension?
I looked at the documentation for this and realized this was 1) way too
complex to mess with and 2) did not even seem to support all possible
combinations of keypresses!

What gives?  Does someone know of a useful introduction to keyboard input
and configuration under X?  Would I have to write driver code to achieve
what I want?

Why is something this simple so bloody hard?  This is the shit I hate
about Unix-like OS's.  The simplest things end up being epic time wastes.

Sean