Re: Microsoft Natural Pro Kbd configuration under X (and related questions)

 Sean> Hi, After lots of searching with no success I have to resort to
 Sean> posting.

 Sean> Is it possible to map the blue "hotkeys" on the MS Natural Pro
 Sean> keyboard under X?  It seems that these keys (along with the
 Sean> windows key and menu key) do not have keycodes so there's not
 Sean> much that can be done with xmodmap.

Try xev to see if the keys are generating keycodes.  iirc it requires
version 4.x of XFree86 to have these keys generate codes.

 Sean> In any case xmodmap doesn't seem to be powerful enough to do
 Sean> all that much useful (like launch applications on a keypress).

No, but your window manager likely is.

 Sean> Is all the keyboard related stuff controlled by the X keyboard
 Sean> extension?  I looked at the documentation for this and realized
 Sean> this was 1) way too complex to mess with and 2) did not even
 Sean> seem to support all possible combinations of keypresses!

 Sean> What gives?  Does someone know of a useful introduction to
 Sean> keyboard input and configuration under X?  Would I have to
 Sean> write driver code to achieve what I want?

 Sean> Why is something this simple so bloody hard?  This is the shit
 Sean> I hate about Unix-like OS's.  The simplest things end up being
 Sean> epic time wastes.

Seems to me you are just making this harder than it has to be.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!