Re: [rdice@pobox.com: Re: Xfree 4.0.2 driver module problem for ATI R128 (unstable) (Debian Bug report logs - #81007)]

This thread has travelled farther than I thought it would. :-)

> Can't you try with 2.2.17 again?
[and]
> Did you by chance enable the New Input Layer in the 2.2.18 kernel?

This is somewhat moot -- before receiving your email, I had created
yet-another 2.2.18 kernel and installed it, and now the mouse is working
fine.

Still, I was/am curious, so I checked my new .config file, and I
couldn't see an option in there that seemed to correspond to the
New Input Layer.  I tried poking around by a few other means to
(checking out the help docs on the various config options, rgrep
"New Input Layer") and still didn't see it.

> Display drivers and the mouse are orthogonal so this was to be expected.

Yes, it's more or less what I was expecting as well.  That doesn't mean
I won't give it a try, troubleshooting being what it is and all.

> > Btw... do either of you have any experience with trying to get XFree86
> > to provide output to a notebook's LCD screen and an external video
> > device (monitor, data projector, etc.) _simultaneously_?  I've been
> > fighting with this for weeks.  I'm starting to think that the r128
> > driver that I had been using simply can't provide this capability.
>
> That's right.

Thanks very much for the confirmation.  It's been driving me batty for
weeks now.

It's very important for me to be able to have simultaneous display.
I do a lot of teaching, training and speaking at conferences, and I'd
_much_ rather be able to project Linux onto the big screen than
Windoze. :-)  [My hardware is fine -- I can get simultaneous display
working without a hitch on my Win98 boot.]

I just tried it with the ati driver as well, and it doesn't seem to be
able to handle simultaneous displays, either.  Is there a driver that
does?  If I have to buy a new video card for my laptop in able to get
this feature, then I will.  (If I have to switch to a non-free X
server, then I will do this, too, though I'd prefer to just get a new
video card, even if the price is higher this way.)

One minor problem:  When I leave X and go back to text tty & console,
my laptop screen is a _lot_ dimmer than it was before.  Might this
be a function of using the new ati driver?  (I didn't notice this when
I was using the r128 driver.)  Regarding the original problem with
the r128 driver provided in the 4.0.2 debs and its unresolved symbols,
might this be fixed if I just "apt-get source xfree86-xserver" and compile
this on my own machine?  (Just a thought.)

Cheers,
Richard

 Richard Dice * Personal 519 635 9568 * Fax 519 635 9569
 ShadNet Creator * http://shadnet.shad.ca/ * rdice@shadnet.shad.ca
 Occasional Writer, HotWired * http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/
     "squeeze the world 'til it's small enough to join us heel to toe"
         - jesus jones