Re: Video driver detection in Etch

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:19:08PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 05:38:39PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Are there plans to use anything other than discover for graphics card
> > detection? If so, in what timeframe?
>
> Yes, in a vague handwavey sense.  It's pretty easy to do: I did a
> 100-line version in Python at one point, but it got lost with a laptop
> disk crash.

Handwavey is right, but it's a high priority for me, although there's no
way it'll really get done in time for etch. I want to move the detection in
to the server itself if at all possible (since it can already do it
essentially). Upstream has similar desires (particularly the redhat guys)
so I plan to work closely with them on it when the time comes.

I'm not sure if I'd be opposed to replacing discover with something like a
100 line python script (aside from my not knowing python) since discover
does still work for now, and the last thing we need is another stopgap
measure. On the other hand, something internal to the X packages is
probably desireable at this point. I'm not going to work on such a thing
until I've got modular and all the Xgl stuff under control though.

 - David Nusinow