Video driver detection in Etch

On Monday 03 April 2006 17:26, Frans Pop wrote:
> The selection of the graphics controller in Sarge is done using
> discover1-data, which currently has:
> 80861132        video    Server:XFree86(i810)    82815 CGC [Chipset
> GraphicsController]
>
> So, it will suggest the i810 driver by default. If that should be
> changed to intel-agp, please file a bug report against discover1-data.
> However, there is little chance that this will be updated in Sarge and
> for Etch it is likely another detection method will be used.

Just to follow up on this...
D-I currently installs discover solely because it's still needed for
graphics card detection during X configuration.

However, that also means that the discover init scripts are still being
run, even though device detection and the loading of drivers is now
completely covered by udev (and the initrd).

Are there plans to use anything other than discover for graphics card
detection? If so, in what timeframe?