Re: Preparing -8

Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:07:14AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > > People shouldn't run "/etc/init.d/$SCRIPT" anymore; they should use
> > > "invoke-rc.d $SCRIPT" instead.
> > >
> > > There have been many threads on -devel about this.
> >
> > if they were inside flamewars than i didn't read it for sure ;)
>
> IIRC, you generally want to use invoke-rc.d because it is cognizant of
> runlevel policy (i.e., start service $FOO in runlevel 3 but not runlevel
> 2, and so forth).

That's true of maintainer scripts, but not when a human is driving the
machine and knows that they definitely want xdm started or stopped right
now.

For example, I have X installed inside a chroot. This chroot has a local
policy-rc.d that prohibits any daemons being started, because I don't
want port conflicts with systems outside the chroot to occur when I
install or upgrade a package. So if I want to manually start xdm or some
other daemon, invoke-rc.d is useless to me.

Another example: I may be in single user mode, and want to start bind,
so I can do some network administration. invoke-rc.d's default policy
would not let it start. This kind of thing makes invoke-rc.d a poor
choice of software for an admin who wants the compter to do what he
tells it to do. It's name is also longer to type. ;-)

--
see shy jo