Re: disable wayland

I'm going to try to help you, but I think there are a fair number of
misunderstandings on your end.

On Wed, 2021-03-24 at 19:08 +0100, Olav Bork wrote:
> I have tried to install such simple things like iftop, youtube-dl,
> autoremove...

Autoremove isn't a package, nor is it an executable.  Autoremove is a
specific apt subcommand, used to remove out-of-date libraries that are no
longer required by any installed packages.

> No chance to use Synaptics under Wayland.

Synaptic (singular) can be installed and used just fine under wayland.
Use
	sudo apt install synaptic
to install this package.

> There must be way to stop this stupid Wayland stuff.

There is some controversy over Wayland's existence, however, it is not
mandatory, nor is it the cause of your problems.

> I have tried f.e.
>

> # sudo service gdm3 stop

(Note that if you type the # on the command line, the command won't run)
I appreciate you using 'sudo', however, 'service' is a command used in the
now-obsolete SystemV init system.  Following a general resolution, Debian
has moved to the systemd init system.  A modern equivalent would be
	sudo systemctl stop gdm
HOWEVER: That will cause you to stop seeing any graphical applicaitons,
which is almost certainly not what you want.

> doesn't work
>

> # sudo autoremove gdm3

As mentioned earlier, autoremove is not a package or a command.  Nor is
gdm3.  If you want insist on completly uninstalling GNOME, run
	sudo apt remove gnome-core

> the system doesn't know essentiel orders like autoremove. the debian
> system 10.7.0 buster is a toy system like wayland.

Wayland is not a distribution like Debian.  Wayland is a display system
that allows graphical applications to be displayed, windows to exist, and
similar.  Debian can be run without wayland: simply select the KDE or the
XFCE desktop environement instead of GNOME during installation.

However, Wayland is not at fault for you current problems. The issue
appears to be poor and outdated guidance.  That is OK and not your fault:
the linux world is big and old, and there are many who post guides without
understanding them.  Many sources that are availible online don't apply to
modern Debian, either because they are very old or because they are
designed for completly different distributions, such as Red Hat or Arch.

For more helpful and accurate guides, see https://www.debian.org/doc/ , in
particular the Debian Administrators Handbook (aka the Debian Handbook).
For information about Wayland itself, see either the Wikipedia page, or
the wayland FAQ here:https://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html

Lastly, this mailing list is intended for website-related discussion: ie,
talking about Debian's internet-facing websites, as opposed to the sofware
we distribute.  Please send future emails to debian-user@lists.debian.org,
or to  #debian-user on the OFTC IRC system.

Calum M