Re: Introducing Myself

Hi Carsten,

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 11:42:59 +0200
Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> (PS: No need to address directly, I'm subscribed to the list as well.)
>
> Am 21.04.19 um 11:07 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
> >> Hopefully most of a transition work could be automated, otherwise I
> >> guess it's quite impossible to do this manually.
> >>

> > One can write a translator tool and do a before-vs-after diff to make sure
> > no regressions were introduced.
>
> yes, we would need a real good QS to ensure nothing is broken
> afterwards. Diff'ing the output of both systems will show any serious
> problems if happen.

What is "QS"?

> >> If you can take a closer look into a migration to the new format and can
> >> come up with a way to walk we will find time to work on this more
> >> seriously. Feel free to speak up anytime in case you have suggestion or
> >> even also questions!
> >>

> > Which "the" new format? My port to TT2 was for
> > https://github.com/shlomif/perl-begin and partly done because I wanted it to
> > remain based on perl because perl-begin is about perl. But there are many
> > other https://staticsitegenerators.net/ that can be used for the Debian
> > site, some of which may be even faster.
>
> I think changing the generating system is really out of scope, at least
> I see no real reason to change to something shiny new which will require
> a lot of individual adjustments, which will take a lot of time and by
> this a lot of resources (we don't have), to archive the same output in
> the end.

well, see
https://github.com/shlomif/shlomif-tech-diary/blob/master/static-site-generators--despair.md
about ssgens. Thing is my template toolkit based process accepts incompatible
input to the wml-based one which it replaced for p-begin, while producing
similar results (at a better speed). One can opt to use a different
preprocessor / template system / etc. as well.

> What I wanted to say was simple that we appreciate any help to improve
> the build process. Steve has made a lot of things in the near past that
> have speed up the build time of the Debian website massively.
> If possible you should think about traveling to a MiniDebConf where we
> could meet us. It's really easier and effective to talk about such
> topics face to face. But I'm not the right person to talk about Perl and
> the internals of it.
>
> O.k., we will see whats possible and what will happen.

OK.