Re: Introducing Myself

Hello Shlomi,

Am 20.04.19 um 17:19 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
> Hi all!
>
> My name is Shlomi and I subscribed to this list because I currently maintain
> https://github.com/thewml/website-meta-language (WML) which is used by the
> Debian site and which https://github.com/xtaran , who is a debian dev, has given
> me some input on.

your are welcome!

> Now, I've done a lot of work on refactoring and optimising the wml source ...

> Before (make -j4):
>
> 5150.42user 722.23system 29:46.58elapsed 328%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
> 607256maxresident)k 510336inputs+1485768outputs
> (477major+170659478minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>
> After:
>
> 3390.15user 558.96system 26:09.35elapsed 251%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
> 607368maxresident)k 420840inputs+1485168outputs
> (661major+126278869minor)pagefaults 0swaps

That's an important and nice decreasing of build time! Build time does
always matter in large scaled projects like the website of Debian.

We held a few weeks ago a sprint of the webteam for Debian and talked of
course also about the situation around the wml system. Some people found
some issues to build the Debian website with the current version of
Debian testing if I remember right.

But we'd really appreciate if you as the maintainer of wml could be a
person we can reach in such cases! So yes, a warm welcome to you again.

> Anyway, I also spent some time converting the sources of
> https://github.com/shlomif/perl-begin from wml to
> https://metacpan.org/pod/Template and while it was quite a lot of work, it made
> the brute rebuild time of the site over two times faster (and there is some
> overhead). So I can recommend to gradually convert debian-www away from wml as
> well for optimising the build time.

For sure we'd like to decrease the build time of the website even more,
so no question. And moving over to an better system because it is faster
and also flexible would be a thing that's worth to achieve.
Unfortunately the webteam isn't currently in a position with a rich
amount of people that can do the work, especially in this regard to
modernize the underlying system. So we need volunteers that can jump in
and will do this work.

I don't have a deep knowledge about Perl and can't overview how much
work would be needed here to adjust the system. There are nearly 55.000
wml files currently in the tree.

> $ find -type f -name "*.wml" | wc -l
> 54912

Hopefully most of a transition work could be automated, otherwise I
guess it's quite impossible to do this manually.

If you can take a closer look into a migration to the new format and can
come up with a way to walk we will find time to work on this more seriously.
Feel free to speak up anytime in case you have suggestion or even also
questions!

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert