Re: Possible error on https://wiki.debian.org/Mate

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I've a gut feeling that logically mate-desktop-environment-core should have
> a dependency on something providing an X11 server. I did not find a
> satisfactory answer manually examining pages from
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie/... . I don't have a machine on which to
> experiment with install until early next week.

The standard package to install to get a Mate desktop is
task-mate-desktop. This is what is installed when you choose Mate in
the Debian installer. The -core package is an internal implementation
detail that probably shouldn't be mentioned on the wiki page, but I
left it there for advanced users. If you want something advanced, you
need to be able to read the instructions to add a display manager. If
you are even more advanced and prefer to run startx instead of a
display manager then I presume you know how to install an X11 server.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise