Re: Links error

Hi

El 21/09/16 a las 09:31, Stéphane Blondon escribió:
> Le 19/09/2016 à 10:14, Adam D. Barratt a écrit :
>> The change to the website was actually deployed yesterday evening, it
>> just took a long time for the update run for the site to complete. Links
>> should have been pointing to 8.6 for a few hours now.
>
> It's not the first time the links are broken when we do a new release
> until there is a website rebuild.
> I know there is a cron task to build the website regularly. I don't know
> if there is a special case when there is a release.
> Could we execute a build when there is a new release so the broken links
> would not appear (or the delay between release and broken links fixed
> would be reduced)? Basically, by adding the rebuild command at the end
> of the release script* for example.
>
> *: I know if such script exists too but I think so.

When the release point files begin to arrive mirrors (Saturday around
14:00 UTC), we publish the announcement in the website, and do a
manual rebuild of the News section (Saturday around 16:00 UTC).

OTOH, the publicity workflow for announcements tell us to also change
some tags in the english/template/debian/release_info.wml file, so I
changed them, and then, in the next usual website build, the homepage
showed 8.6 as last release, but still linked to 8.5.0 images (because
we wait until the CD team tell us the CD images are ready, to update a
last tag).

Next day (Sunday), when the images were ready, we changed the last tag
in the release_info.wml file, and then, in the next build, links
pointed to the 8.6 images, and everything was ok then. The problem is
that this last build takes several hours to finish, because many pages
use that tag (started at Sun Sep 18 19:24:01 UTC 2016, ended Mon Sep
19 04:27:37 UTC 2016). During the build, the CD images were pushed to
their place (thanks CD Team!).

So I guess, for next release points, we can think in some improvements
(please comment on these suggestions because I'm not sure if they may
bring unwanted effects):

* Publish only the announcement, and do not update any tag in the
release_info.wml file until the CD images are ready.

In that case, the info in the homepage would be consistent with the
links to the images available to download, but people probably would
complain that we released 8.7 but the whole website (except /News),
including the homepage still talk about 8.6 and link to 8.6 images.

Maybe we can state in the announcement that the images for download
will be available in the next *days* (instead of hours)? and add some
line with "the website will be updated *after* that"?)

* For release points, add some special info to the homepage "We're
releasing 8.7. CD images will be ready for download soon!" or
something like that. We can publish that line when we publish the
announcement, and remove it when the build with all the tags updated
is finished. Is there a partial build script that allows us to change
the homepage only? Could the publicity group have permissions to run it?

* Keep on working on #819664: Re-organise the CD / download pages to
make them more useful

This would simplify the available webpages with download links, so I
guess the builds of the website for point release would take less time
than now.

I got entangled with some other things and life, but definitely would
like to resume work on that bug before the year ends, but any help is
very appreciated.

* Any other idea?

Cheers
--