Who's *still* or *not* using Debian?

Hi,

The users part of the website [0] gathers lots of contacts, for a long
time, and as far as I know, we don't have (yet) a protocol to handle
those entries in the long term. I thus propose to contact persons who
initially proposed a description of their company, organization, school,
university, etc. to update the said description, in order to keep it up
to date, or eventually removed it if not accurate anymore.

	0 : http://www.debian.org/users/

Maybe some of you, e.g. handling data in the vendors, pre-installed,
consultants, etc. part of the website, may have some advice or tip to
handle such pings. Here is a proposed workflow I can think of, do not
hesitate to comment it, or the proposed text at the end of this message.

ASCII Grafcet-like scheme, hoping it will be understandable…

                  +---+
                  | 0 |
                  +-+-+

                    +-- Page not updated since N years

                    +<----------<-------------<--------------<---------+
                  +-+-+  +-------------------+                         ^
                  | 1 +--+ Send initial mail |                         |
                  +-+-+  +-------------------+                         |
  +-----------------+--------------------------------+                 |
  |                 |                                |                 ^
  +-- Answer        +-- No answer within two weeks   +-- Bouncing      |
  |                 |                                |   e-mail        |
  |               +-+-+  +------------------+        |                 |
  |               | 2 +--+ Send second mail |        |                 |
  |               +-+-+  +------------------+        |                 |
  |                 |                                |                 ^
  |        +--------+----------+                     |                 |
  |        |                   |   No answer         |                 |
  |        +-- Answer          +-- within two weeks  |                 |
  |        |                   |                     |                 |
  +--+-----+                   +------+--------------+                 |
     |                                |                                ^
   +-+-+  +-------------------+     +-+-+  +----------------------+    |
   | 3 +--+    Update text    |     | 4 +--+ Search other contact |    |
   +-+-+  | (or delete entry) |     +-+-+  +----------------------+    |
          +-------------------+       |                                |
                                      |                                |
     +--------------------------------+------+                         ^
     |                                       |                         |
     +-- No existing contact found           +-- New e-mail addresses  |
     |                                       |                         |
   +-+-+  +--------------+                   +-------->-------->-------+
   | 5 +--+ Delete entry |
   +---+  +--------------+

With this scheme, one can have from a quite short process (eg. 1,3 or
1,4,5) to pretty long one (eg. 1,2,4,1,2,4,5 is eight weeks long).

I guess the minimum number of years (N) could be two once the process is
in place and working, but let's already begin with N=6, and handle those
oldest descriptions.

The mails could be sent to the contact and webmaster@d.o, the reply-to
set to the sender and webmaster@d.o, and mail informations (date and
message-id) added to the related page at the end of the process (or in
the commit message, if the page is deleted). If you can think of any
tool that could help tracking this process, your ideas are welcome.

If some of you are willing to join the fun, your hands are welcome too.

Proposed mail draft for the initial ping:

- -----------------------------%<------------------------------

Subject: Are you still using Debian?

Hi [Name, if known],

Some time ago, you provided a description [1] of how your organization
uses Debian.

	1: [Link to the page and a copy of the current description]

If you are still using Debian, you may wish to update this data, with a
paragraph or two describing how your organization uses Debian. Try to
include details such as the number of workstations/servers, the software
they run, and why you chose Debian over the competition.

[One of the two following, depending if there is a link or not]
- ----------------
Is the home page link [2] still correct?

	2: [Home page link]
You may also wish to provide an home page link if you have one.

Thanks in advance for you answer.

Regards,

[The sender], for the Debian website

Regards