Re: www-master move, final steps: /doc/manuals/sgml-howto

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:40:49PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:52:17PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > More problematic is:
> >  http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy
> >  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy
>
> Well from my current POV (moving to another host) at least, these ones *do*
> build correctly.

Problem is not *build* but *contents".

> > > If I look at the correct document, it seems partly outdated
> > > to me. Are we talking about this?
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/sgml-howto/
> > >
> > > To me, too many things have changed:
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > > At least some of the newer documents are made with DocBook
> > > XML instead of debiandoc or DocBook SGML. The compilation
> > > tools are now mainly xsltproc, docbook-xsl, dblatex, xmlroff,
> > > and fop, not dsssl and jadetex. Emacs users are using nxml,
> > > not psgml, I assume.
> >
> > Please do not forget to add "po4a"-tool chain.
> >
> > It is interesting that this is written in DocBookXML.
> >
> > It does not seem to be linked anywhere from DDP page.
> >
> > As technical guide to SGML, it is useful.  But you need to find it from
> > google.
> >
> > I suggest to add it to "Problematic manuals"
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other
> >
> > Unless someone update now, I suggest to add note such as:
> >  "(Obsolete Documentation)"
> >
> > Bust still build them.
>
> Does some of you succed in building it ?

OOps.  I got your point.  I did not check.

> After adjusting hardcoded path no longer valid since potato.. I've come
> up with:
>
> jade -t sgml -V FHS \
> 		-d ../html.dsl \
> 		/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl howto.db
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:31:27:W: characters in the document character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
> jade:howto.db:1:0:E: end of document in prolog
>
> But honestly, I don't want to spent more time trying to build an outdated doc.
>
> So, different options:

Please disable build ASAP.  There is no point buiding...

In this context, apt-howto too.  This build failure seems Makefile
concurency issue but I am not sure.

> A/ Can someone want to fix the sgml-howto svn to make it buildable on lenny and
> squeeze ?

I do not think we have enough time for this and it is not high priority.

> B/ sync the manual built result to new www-master (I'm not a big fan, but it's
> the most conservative option). Then if someone wants, update the build system.
>
> C/ Drop it

Plan B seems most conservative or now.  If you drop it, I do not complin
either.

(apt-howto is OK as is)

I will look into this after squeeze release.

Osamu