Re: To improve chinese web pages, migration to/translation in UTF-8

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:27:42AM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:58:11AM +0800, Hsin-lin Cheng wrote:
> > I'm a newcomer to help translation in Chinese.
>
> Thanks for your interest :-)
>
> > I noticed that web pages in Chinese is still not in utf-8.
> > big5/gb2312 is NOT good for Chinese pages when pages mixed other languages.
> >
> > There is a idea to migrate and translate pages to utf-8,
> > by using "enca" and "cconv".
> >
> > Enca is a charset analyser to help to detect charset of existed wml files,
> > and cconv is a simplified-traditional chinese conversion tool,
> > it's can help to create pages in CN/TW/HK-UTF8.
>
> I may miss the point, but if such tools are required for *moving to
> utf-8*, then use them on your client side, then commit all the utf8
> files to the CVS repo.
>
> In the case these tools are actually required to build pages *from UTF8*
> wml files, then it may be requested to Debian sysadmins.
>
> > The method should need to install these tools on the web server,
> > so I need some helps and discussions.  :)
>
> A recent discussion about the move to UTF8:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.www/30311/focus=30328

That's me posting as record what it takes.

I found character code change in source is the easy part.

There are programs specifically to address current Chinese encoding in
English source too.  Please check them and adjust them to new set up.

My quick review ... please be careful on these files.

english/Makefile
english/MailingLists/Makefile
english/News/weekly/Makefile
english/mirror/webmirror.wml