Re: how to move to UTF-8 ? (was: An encoding problem)

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:05:40PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 06:27:02PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > Moving the website to UTF-8 would allow to get rid of such issues.
> Could you please describe the steps you have performed and how ?
>
> For what we have identified:
> - recode wml files (using recode from recode package)
> find . -type d -exec recode latin1..utf8 {} \;

"-type d" ? This works for directories?

I would restrict this to *.wml files. Some files such as *.inc files need to
be handled as well, some for text files (some describe mailing lists
purposes, ...). Let's avoid converting *.png, *.pdf files, OK?

Or use iconv ...

> - update the .wmlrc file
> 	-D CUR_LOCALE=fr_FR.UTF-8
> 	-D CHARSET=utf-8
>
> - convert charset of po files
> cd po ; for file in *po ; do msgconv -t UTF-8 -o $file $file ; done

That should be optional ... (but the strings need to be convertible into
UTF-8).

> - some references to ISO-8859-15 (or old coding) in webpages about
>   website.
>   * pour le site web, devel/website/examples.wml et

s/pour le/for/ ???

>     international/french/web.wml
>   * pour la traduction, international/french/traduire.wml
> - *.UTF-8 locale on www-master -> OK, checked
> - redirections pages with specified charset
>   (devel/debian-installer/gtk-frontend.wml and distrib/cd.wml)
>
> Do you see something else ?

This should be all except:
Warn all users that the working copy should be clean before an update, as
otherwise there will be many conflicts.

Jens