Re: An encoding problem

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:31:25PM +0200, helix84 wrote:
> I just noticed on Slovak index page
> <http://www.debian.org/index.sk.html> in news headlines that the
> accent in Cáceres isn't decoded correctly and a question mark shows
> instead. The actual news page is displayed correctly. Slovak wml files
> use UTF-8.
>
> I also checked index.cs.html which displays correctly - Czech wml
> files use the iso-8859-2 encoding.
>
> I assume this is caused by inclusion (get_recent_list) from the
> english news file. English .wmlrc defines CHARSET=iso-8859-1. Can you
> please look into this?

You're true.

> 1) Should English be changed to use UTF-8? and/or

Moving the website to UTF-8 would allow to get rid of such issues.
Current status:
     12 -D CHARSET=utf-8
     10 -D CHARSET=iso-8859-1
      4 -D CHARSET=iso-8859-2
      3 -D CHARSET=iso-8859-15
      2 -D CHARSET=UTF-8
      1 -D CHARSET_WML=euc-jp
      1 -D CHARSET=koi8-r
      1 -D CHARSET=iso-8859-7
      1 -D CHARSET=iso-8859-13
      1 -D CHARSET=iso-2022-jp
      1 -D CHARSET=euc-kr
      1 -D CHARSET=big5

> 2) Should news on the index page be changed to show localized headlines?

3) Use an HTML entity in titles for the accent.
-> I applied this one to the website as a quick and dirty patch.

4) Translate the affected news into your language :-)

Thanks for the report and best regards.
--
Simon Paillard