Re: language settings

On 29/04/2009, Thomas Ziegler <ziegler@physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi there in Debian-land,
>
> I am traveling a lot and working in different countries. And every time I
> open the debian pages from a computer in a different country I get it
> opened in the local language. It might be convenient for many users, that
> the server can automaticlly select the language. And it also seems
> convenient for you to let the user change the browser's default language
> settings. But especially the last point is neither possbile for all users
> nor desirable for the browser usage, as in my case. People might want to
> read different pages in different personally preferred languages without
> changing the default language setting of their browser every time. I
> normally have more than 30 pages in different languages open at the same
> time. And I might even want to have a look at one page in different
> languages. This is all just part of living in a global world, though many
> people might not yet even think of that. But it will become more and more
> normal in the not so far future. So be prepared and give users a different
> way to read the debian pages in different languages. In a more distant
> future in which computers will be more intelligent than humans and just
> "know" what users want, you could still fall back to your current
> solution. ;-)
>
> Thanks, for your help in advance.
> Thomas

I couldn't agree more - language/alphabet selection should be possible
per-page. It is accepted that it's convenient for the IP to determine
the initial language being served, but please let me have a clickable
selection of language, even in other alphabets (I use English,
Spanish, Bulgarian and Arabic, amongst others)

Thanks for all the good work - - I try to help too. ;)

John

> --

My house for sale in Peru. http://www.580elbosque.idimo.net
---------------------------------
Become a serious teacher by clicking this link and registering here -
I did and now I am earning -
http://www.seriousteachers.com/teachers.asp?IdTeacherPartner=1085695
Ayer es historia.
Mañana un misterio.
Hoy es un regalo.
Es por ello que es llamado el presente!!
Creo que esta vida es especial