Re: Debian Wiki: renaming pages

On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 18:01 -0600, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

> >> You've deleted :,[:pl/Manual-Howto:Polski] and added
> >> [:Français/Manual-Howto:Polski].
> >>
> >> I've reverted your change right now, so we are good on that page.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > (But actually, the page doesn't exists, so we should drop the link!)
>
> (page that you have deleted, FYI.)

That page merely contained a link to an external website.

Yes, I looks like I forgot to fix the broken link :-(

>  I'll move the "polish translation" of that page to debian wiki from
> http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/FrontPagePolish to
> http://wiki.debian.org/pl/Manual-Howto  if that is the structure of
> translated pages you guys prefer.

Those all-in-one pages are still in the process of being merged in the
rest of the wiki. Since most of the wiki isn't translated, I am not sure
it's worth it. (Polish googlers would still find your home wiki content)

[..]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext

>  Merging docbooks is not that easy.
I know that some tasks aren't easy or not fun.

> I wanted to create a Debian business server page that would includes
> all available information on setting up debian server in business
> environment. (samba ldap, sftp, ftp, ldap addressbook, faxserver,
> bacula backup, vmware, etc )
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer

<sarcasms>
You mean yet another page about [Server|Service|System|Admin]?
</sarcasms>

> I think there is some content that is more presentable/useful as one
> combined page then 50 separate wiki link pages. I wanted to do that
> with "Debian server for business" but you keep reverting my include
> changes.

As you know, a common advice to web authors is to avoid long pages.

> I think the job you do with making sure all the content is in sync is
> great.

I don't keep translation in sync, that something every
contributors/translators should do.

I do enforce conventions and common best practices, split/merge/refactor
pages, even though I hope it would consume less time, so I could spend
more time contributing actual content.

> I've seen all the deleted content you have deleted  and I think
> on some pages it was needed.

I do try to enforce conventions that were decided over time.
I also try to structure the wiki, from bottom up (and I am slowly
reaching FrontPage)

> On the other hand whenever I want to update some page or work on a
> page by changing it slowly day by day, it seems you keep reverting my
> changes before I was able to finish and provide meaningful content.

Some contents shouldn't be on this wiki.

(A recent example is "How to install Joomla manually": This page should
be on Joomla's wiki. In Debian, we use packages)

> Not sure if this is a right thread for that, but where can I create a
> page that has as many include as I need, without it being reverted?
>
> Should I use:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer
> or should I move it to:
> http://wiki.debian.org/LukaszSzybalski/DebianBusinessServer
> I think it would be nice to have "maintainer: username" on a page that
> somebody wants to maintain, and let that user delete content as needed
> instead of reverting changes in a global manner.

Wiki homepages are meant to present the wiki contributor, not a place to
contribute contents.

If one wants to have control over the contents he/she write, then he/she
can publish it on it's own website.

Debian Package maintainer are considered to "own" the page related to
their package (but the conventions are still enforced).
The same way, various Debian Teams are considered to own their pages,
like M68k, DebianLive...

The rest of the pages belongs to the wiki. The whole wiki should be
consistent... It's a single giant "book".

> What do you guys
> think? I would like to maintain and add content to
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer but I can't do that if
> randomly my additions get reverted.

It isn't reverted randomly, it is perfectly consistent: "Don't duplicate
content / don't use include".

Regards,

Franklin