Re: Bugs/index

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 07:01:08AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > I'll convert the new text to po tags, because otherwise that's a
> > whole lot of HTML copy&pasting for translators to do, it's
> > unnecessarily error-prone.
>
> Thanks! That's what I should have done at the beginning, but I blame
> my lack of wml experience.

No problem, next time feel free to ask someone to jump in.
It's done now, you can go have a look.

Truth be told, it was a bit too convoluted for its own good. It used to use
<define-tag> for each and every string, and then put the newly invented tag
into the output. It was probably doing this because it was reusing a few of
the strings in several places. However, that was completely unnecessary,
because gettext already handles duplicated strings. Also, I think I saw it
gettextizing strings like 'stable' or 'testing', which aren't actually
supposed to be translated.

Generally, the gettextization in WML is fairly simple once you get the hang
of it - like with the C function _(), you have to wrap translatable strings
into <gettext> </gettext>. An added benefit is that the start tag can take a
parameter domain="bugs", so that these strings are split into their own file
(that way it's easier for translators to track which part of the web site
needs updates).

After a <gettext> string is added or updated, you can stroll over to
the english/po/ directory and run something like 'make pot' or 'make
gen-bugs.pot', and then 'cvs commit bugs.pot'. That allows the changes
to go onwards to the translators. But others can do the same once you commit
the actual changes, so it's not a priority.

BTW, I also added a couple of new tags which generate the severity and tag
lists from Perl code, so that it becomes a real copy&paste job to update
them there :) It also has the nice side-effect of relieving the translators
from worrying about them.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.