Re: [Debian Wiki] handling of translations links

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>  On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 13:37 +0100, Eric Veiras Galisson wrote:
>  > I just want to know what's your opinion about translations links on
>  > the Debian Wiki.
>  >

>  (Space vs Time : consuming less time is more important than less space).

I agree.

>  > Moreover, for the moment, probably because the translation namespace
>  > is still not defined, these links are handled manually so it's easy to
>
> > not had a link to self translation.
>
>  It's easier to just copy and paste the same paragraph on all pages.
>  Removing one link manually is prone to error, therefore it's sensible to
>  do a preview, which is time consuming too.

In fact, it's right.

>  > I ask this question because I have corrected some pages and some ones
>  > have been reverted and these links have reappeared.
>
>  I happen to be the one.
>  I do it because I don't want people to remove those links on one or two
>  translations each time I update all translated pages.
>

>  > What do you think of that?
>  See above ;)
>
>  tourjouman05 has added "FrontPageArabic" this week. I suggested that you
>  update all the 21 translated pages. (Oh, BTW, don't go too fast as
>  moinmoin would just consider it as abusing the wiki ! )
>
>  If you still want to maintain all those links on all pages your self,
>  over a long period of time, then it's fine for me.

I don't understand your point of view.
The FrontPageArabic was just added, so all the 21 pages _must_ be
updated, no matter your method or my idea.

But in fact, a 'copy-paste' is simpler.

>  Ok, and now the good news : Thomas Viehmann told me that he would work
>  on implementing automatic content negotiation for moinmoin.

This is a good news.

Do you think we can wait for it using our current implementation, or
could we try another system: I remember Salokine Terata tried
automatic handling of translations links... oh... wait... forget about
it! it's not usable without a consistent translation namespace.

Thank you for your answers.