Re: apt-get vs Aptitude

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>
> > What I ment here was that I can do
>  > 'apt-cache policy samba'
>  > but I can't  do:
>  > 'aptitude policy samba'
>
>  You can't go apt-get policy samba; either. There are some things for
>  which tools besides aptitude are the right thing to use, and showing
>  the policy is one of them. [I don't know if aptitude will ever add a
>  feature to show this itself, but it doesn't really need to.]

I use 'apt-cache policy samba'  a lot since it will tell me which
version I have and which version In testing or unstable is available
(using pinging and preferences )

aptitude show samba doesn't show that.

The reason I'm asking this is because it seems to me as 'apt-cache
policy ' belongs to apt-get group, and since we are recommending
aptitude I thought there would be aptitude version of apt-cache
policy.

I guess not.
Lucas