Re: apt-get vs Aptitude

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Is it safe to recommend using aptitude in online documentation?

Yes, and it's what should be recommended generally.

> Is there a replacement for apt-cache policy samba in aptitude
> version?

Just use apt-cache policy samba; aptitude obeys that just as much as
apt-get does.

> What about instalation pending state under aptitude ?

If you've scheduled an install, it's going to be installed. If you
don't want scheduled things to be installed, unschedule them using
aptitude remove foopkg, or use foopkg: or similar.

See aptitude's manpage for details.

Don Armstrong

--
No matter how many instances of white swans we may have observed, this
does not justify the conclusion that all swans are white.