Re: Debian WWW CVS commit by bertol: webwml/english/security/2006 dsa-1118.wml dsa- ...

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:34:15 +0200
Nicolas Bertolissio <nico.bertol@free.fr> wrote:

> > > This isn't only meant for Nicolas:  Please remember to update
> > > translations when making minor/unimportant changes like the above,
> > > our too many translations will become unnecessarily outdated.
> >
> > Should have read "... or too many ...", in case you didn't get
> > it. :-)
>
> Sorry, I've updated the French translations for something else and
> noticed they were not using <q> for quotes, so I took this opportunity
> to fix English quotes as well.

This is exactly my point.

If a master page has badly broken HTML, spelling mistakes, dead links, incorrect information, etc., by all means fix it (and if possible update all translations).  But don't outdate lots of translations in order to e.g. use quote tags (as you did here) or to be (X)HTML compliant (which may or may not be overruled by tidy in the buildprocess) - unless you're willing to fix all of the affected translations yourself.  Save such minor edits for when a page has to be updated anyway.

Many translation teams are very small, and may not be active on a daily basis and not have unlimted website time on their hands.  If there are lots of minor edits to catch up with, new translations may be postponed or never done, and the outdated pages may even end up being skipped and eventually removed, even though their content was up to date.

> But I cannot know whether the other translations have to be fix also
> or not, can I?

You could look at them.

> In fact, I assumed they also have to be fixed as if
> they were already using <q>, English should use it too.

Most likely, but this isn't a very important site-breaking change.

--
Regards, Kaare