Re: Vendors Page

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 04:13:26AM -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> Richard Atterer wrote:
> > One thing I've been thinking about is the set of offered architectures.
> > IMHO it would be enough not to list each arch, but only to distinguish the
> > cases "PC" (i386 and possibly amd64), "some" (some more arches, but not
> > all; typically powerpc) and "all".
> Hmmm, do you think such classifications would be as useful to users?
> The architectures list is definitely too long, but I'd feel bad making
> users with a specific "other" arch in mind clicking through several
> vendors to find media.  I really can't see any way to cut the size down
> without making the list harder to use/understand.

Yes, I know what you mean... :-/ I feel the same, but I thought that the
list would become more readable for >90% of the users, while only making
usage /slightly/ less comfortable for the remaining users. Anyway, as I
said the list of arches is often outdated; non-PC users will currently
click on links only to find that their arch isn't offered after all by a
vendor.

WRT the URLs: I think the "Debian URL" is the more important one for
people. Would it make sense to use that URL for the vendor name and to add
a "Home" or similar link? (Or possibly a small home symbol?)

> The new format should look something like this:
> <country code="ar" name="<ARc>">
> <vendor name="AGNUS"
>         url="http://www.agnus.com.ar/";
>         deburl="http://www.agnus.com.ar/site/agnus/debian/";
>         contribution="no"
Looks great! :)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯