Re: Vendors Page

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 09:12:10PM -0400, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> Holger Levsen wrote:
> > Looks good, thanks!
> Yay!  Do you think this is ready to be committed?  It's kind of
> time-consuming to re-modify vendors.CD each time somebody adds/updates
> an entry (since I changed the format of that file pretty significantly).

Sorry, I forgot about this thread - thanks for your patience!
IMHO it is /almost/ ready for committing - the remaining issue to resolve
is to reduce the width of the table rows.

Unfortunately, your home DSL appears to be down often and I can't access
your version of the page right now, so this is from memory.

One thing I've been thinking about is the set of offered architectures.
IMHO it would be enough not to list each arch, but only to distinguish the
cases "PC" (i386 and possibly amd64), "some" (some more arches, but not
all; typically powerpc) and "all".

The other thing: WRT offered CD/DVD types, the information that's currently
in the list is incorrect in many cases anyway, so instead of the "CD type"
and "DVD type" entries, I'd just have one column "CD/DVD" which can have
one of the values "CD", "DVD" or "CD+DVD". No more "non-US", "vendor
release" etc. - that kind of thing is rarely offered by vendors these days.

Furthermore, the "title" attribute could be used. For example, just enter
"no" in one table cell, but add the annotation title="Vendor does not allow
dontations to the Debian project" (or whatever).

> The latest changes (until somebody changes vendors.CD again):
> http://debian.riczho.dyndns.org/test/vendors-5-ricky.patch
> And the output: http://debian.riczho.dyndns.org/CD/vendors/

Oh, sorry - that "somebody" would have been me... :-/ I wasn't aware that
you changed the format.

What is the new format? Have you switched to a descriptive, XML-like
syntax? - that would be cool! It would also make the vendor.CD format
future-proof in case there are more changes to the formatting. In WML, ISTR
that you can store information with <set-var> and later recall it for the
formatting of an entire vendor entry.

BTW, don't convert the entire list manually! In case your
bash/perl/whatever scripting abilities are not up to writing a conversion
script, just provide example manual conversions of the first entry or two,
and I'll knock up something to convert the entire list.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯