Re: Search box and http://search.debian.org

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007, David Claughton wrote:
> Bastian Venthur wrote:
>
>> The problem was (or is) that it requires java so I dropped that idea
>> again. But maybe another p2p search engine with similar features but
>> without a non-free dependency could be an alternative to google?
>
> I was wondering if Hyper Estraier (http://hyperestraier.sourceforge.net/)
> might fit the bill?  I can't say I've used it, but I had a look at the
> website and it looks like a possibility - it's LGPL, written in C and has
> P2P and multilingual features (don't know if this extends to content
> negotiation, 'fraid I didn't dig that deeply).  Also it's already packaged
> for Debian.
>
> Might be worth a look?

HyperEstraier is actually what the BTS is using for full text
searching now; given hardware to set it up on, it wouldn't be all too
difficult to index the websites too.

Don Armstrong

--
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one
by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.